Topics in this issue:
1. FLAVA 2013 (Williamsburg, VA)
2. News from the members: Thakur sensei, Shiga sensei, Zoll sensei, Shigehisa sensei
<News from the members>
Thank you for sending us lots of great news! I have the brief story of each news item. Please see the attached document for the complete articles and pictures.
1. West Spring HS (Fairfax, VA), Thakur sensei
One of our students, Natalie Pham, won a Special Superior Award in the international Haiku contest, Ito-en New Haiku Contest. The 24th Ito-en Haiku Contest was held in Tokyo, Japan in February 2013. Over 1.7 million haikus were entered in the contest last year. From West Springfield High School, 27 students entered in the high school/Japanese (language) division. Click here to read her haiku.
2. Boonsboro HS (Boonsboro, MD), Shiga sensei
Boonsboro High School was just chosen as National Blue Ribbon School
In the local newspaper article, the principal acknowledges about their world language department and Japanese program.
“…. its world language department is the ‘finest in the county’ and the only one that teaches Japanese.” (excerpt from the article)
3. Montgomery Blair HS (Silver Spring, MD) / Paint Branch HS (Burtonsville, MD), Zoll sensei
They welcome Haruka Nitani sensei as their J-LEAP (Japanese Language Education Assistant Program) teacher for the next 2 years. Zoll sensei also sent us the brief video of Nitani sensei teaching (unlisted YouTube link).
4. Keiko Abrams, Tomoko Geiser, and Koji Otani (MAATJ Officers)
Shigehisa sensei at Northern Virginia Community College has been honored by the
Blackboard Inc. at their annual user conference in Las Vegas for her exemplary use of Blackboard application. Click here to read more. We are very proud of her being recognized in the wider community.
2 月 2019