- FLAVA registration & Hotel reservation (early bird rate deadline: 9/3)
- List of Japanese Sessions and Workshops at FLAVA
- Nen Daiko 20th Anniversary Concert (8/30)
FLAVA registration: Early bird registration deadline 9/3
Dates: SEPTEMBER 25-27
Location: DoubleTree by Hilton Williamsburg Hotel. 50 Kingsmill Road, Williamsburg, VA 23185
Early Bird Registration ends September 3. The Early Bird registration includes the FLAVA Opening Reception and the FLAVA Awards Luncheon.
The cost is the same as it has been for the past three years: $100.00 (includes one year FLAVA membership, the conference, reception and luncheon). The cost goes to $125.00 after September 3 and does not include the luncheon.
List of Japanese Sessions and Workshops at FLAVA
- Workshop: How to be ready for "cyber" snow days: Free online resources that help create a virtual classroom by Shigehisa (for all languages, in English)
Friday Sept. 26 (session only)
- Usage of English-derived loan words by native Japanese speakers speaking in America by Takeda
- Virginia Governor's Japanese Academy by Sakamaki
- Experience Culture in Classroom: Performing Rakugo by Fujiwara
- Entrance to Authentic Environment by Lamberson/Fujii
- A bottom-up vertical articulation project for betterment of curriculum and professional development using "Minna no can-do Site" by Sato/Kitamura/Hino/Vaughan
- Incorporating online kanji learning tools into reading instruction to enhance self-directed kanji learning by Mori/Omori/Sato
Saturday Sept. 27 (sessions and workshops)
- Japanese Grammar from Learner's Point of View: Reducing & Clarifying Rules by Suzuki
- Business Japanese curriculum for everyone by Hamano
- Articulation and Beyond by Tohsaku
- Workshop: Re-evaluating Oral Performance Assessment: Is my "good" the same as yours? by Marshall/Kawai
- Workshop: From “How to teach” to “Why Teach” Japanese by Tohsaku
Nen Daiko Concert
This will be a great show, so I hope many of you can make it! Please click here for more information and to purchase tickets.
This year marks Nen Daiko's 20th anniversary and to mark the occasion we are holding a special concert this Labor Day weekend on Saturday, August 30th at the Synetic Theater in Crystal City. This event is metro accessible. Tickets are $25 for general admission, or $50 for VIP/supporter. In addition to Nen Daiko, we have invited our sister groups, Hoh Daiko in New Jersey and Soh Daiko in New York, to perform with us as they were instrumental in the formation of Nen Daiko and teaching the group the basics. Soh Daiko is the oldest taiko group on the East Coast and is worth the price of admission by themselves...